Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Retro Motivation

Sometimes, I need a little kick in the bum when it comes to getting the writing on the page. Especially this time of year, when there are lovely and fun distractions such as writing holiday greetings to friends or buying gifts or attending tacky Christmas sweater parties. I personally need motivational soundtracks galore over the next two weeks to remind myself not to throw in the towel early.

And so, I present my Retro Motivation playlist:



Some of the inclusions I've made are obvious. But others need explanation:

Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - They All Laughed: Sure, it's about a love affair. But it can easily apply to a work of fiction, art -- any endeavour really. Especially since Ella and Louis reference historical endeavours that were once laughed at.

Irene Cara - What a Feeling, Rocky Theme Song, Survivor - Eye of the Tiger, Chariots of Fire: All mega motivational anthems, retro style!

Dolly Parton - 9 to 5, Avenue Q Original Broadway Cast - What do you Do with a B.A. in English/Sucks to be Me: I guess these are more "I'm not the only one feeling this way" songs. Toiling away, chipping away at the steps, working towards a dream sort of songs.

Eminem - Lose Yourself, Travie McCoy feat. Bruno Mars - Billionaire: All right, all right. Not so retro. But still motivational. And besides, does anyone remember the last time Eminem was bleached blonde?

Jessie J - Price Tag: Again, not so retro. But also not exactly of the moment, is it? I needed to add this song at the last moment, as an antidote to the previous track. Lately I've been feeling like I don't want to think that I am writing for money's sake. Maybe I want to create art because I have to. That, for me, is motivational in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment